Wednesday 27 June 2012

(Re)Basing Nurglings and airbrushing


I'm getting bad at doing this weekly, can't imagine how things will be during the move...
Not that I've been just sitting around, 6 more Nurgling bases are done and I redid the snow on the first few as well.

May as well do a basing tutorial thing now...

Start off with the base, sprayed white with primer.

 I then grab a suitably dirty brown colour and paint the area where the Nurglings will be sitting. Filthy Brown from the Vallejo game colour set was my base, then Dead Flesh was slopped randomly over the brown to give a bit of contrast.
 After that some teak wood stain and varnish mix (the same stuff I use for dipping) is generously applied with toothpicks. I've already made one old brush into a solid lump, no reason to do it to another.
 Aaand now I stopped taking photos. Generally speaking, I put the Nurglings onto the varnish while it was still wet (that stuff sets rock hard and holds like glue) then left them overnight. I found a few little bits of crushed rock to glue down and add some variety to the snow, then mixed up some bicarb with some PVA glue, sticking it over the rest of the base.
Bicarb gives a much better finish than the GW snow flock for about 10% of the price. It makes some very nice lumpy snow too. A coat of PVA over the top holds it together well, then some matt varnish after it's dry takes away the shine.
There were a couple of gaps between the slime and the snow that I filled in with more wood stain. That stuff is amazing. A once over with a permanent marker around the edges makes the base look much nicer in the end too.

I got out the airbrush last weekend with mixed results. Overwatering the paint was my first mistake and I managed to clog the nozzle after that. A quick clean later things sped up. I added more paint to the mix, which mostly fixed the water problem, but I'll just have to learn from that next time.

 I just did the basecoat on the Bletters with air, and I've now done some shading and detail manually. Here they are as of now, all 29 of them (really need to find that last one sometime).

 Fighting High Elves this weekend with Cyrus, facing a dragon. Balesword much? Maybe, maybe not. I rolled 550 extra points on my mines, which nudges me just above the "grand army" minimum. Fun fun. Unfortunately 24 Flamers cost 900pts with champions, so I can't get too ridiculous. Shame too, I just want be able to say that I've done it.
Never got to fight Empire, which is a bit unfortunate. I was hoping he'd bring a Hurricanum so I could annoy him by singing "Rock you like a Hurricanum" whenever he moved or used it.
Eeevil plans have been forming in my mind this week, but I can't seem to think of anything that I want to do with my Keeper. Probably ask the guys if I can swap him/her/it for Kairos, or more reasonably, my new Lord of Change. I can only think of a couple of evil plans with him, but that's better than the relative lack of interest in the Keeper.

On a final note, I've been coming up with custom rules and tournament ideas again. My birthday's in a couple weeks, so maybe I'll be able to convince people to give them a go around then.

Hopefully my next update will be within the next week, although I doubt my Bletters will be done by then. Probably do a battle report.



 "The night is calling
I have to go
The wolf is hungry
He runs the show
He's licking his lips
He's ready to win
On the hunt tonight
For love at first sting

Here I am, rock you like a hurricanum!"
 -Rock you like a hurricane, by Scorpions and bastardised by me.




No comments:

Post a Comment